Skip to main content

Throwback: February 1

This is the first time I’m posting one of these! These are pulled from my dad’s old blog about me and my sister. I’m hoping to post whatever he posted on the current date in the past :) They have been edited to switch around gender and name and whatever. Enjoy!


Guess the number (2008)

At dinner tonight, we played a number game.  First, Jay said he was thinking of a number, and we had to guess what it is.  Whoever gets it right wins.  Or, Jay went on, whoever comes closest.  Jay rambled on about some other criteria that no one understood.

Danielle mercifully interrupted and excitedly guessed 8.  Jay said that was right, and so Danielle wins.

I thought of a number between 1 and 100.  The kids guessed 2 and 3.  Angie guessed 57.  The number was 10.  I figured Jay and Danielle's guesses would be on the low side.

Round and round we went.  Danielle said she was thinking of a number, 1 or 10.  Jay guessed 1.  So did I.  Angie guessed 10, and she was correct.

Giggling about Danielle's "1 or 10", Angie said "I'm thinking of a number.  It's 2."

Danielle guessed 1.

Jay guessed 3.

SUPPLEMENTAL: This is funny in retrospect because at New Year’s Eve last year we were trying to decide who would go first in a board game. My mom (Angie) said “alright pick a number between 1 and 5, highest goes first.” She picked 2. My grandmother picked 4. Me and Danielle of course picked 5, both very confused. We explained why that system doesn’t work, because why wouldn’t you pick 5? We laughed at it until we cried and teased her (2??) and questioned how much she’d had to drink. My grandmother was laughing along but still didn’t quite get it. She asked “what’s wrong with 4? That’s a high number.”


Stinky feet (2009)

About 3 years ago during a visit with the kids, Aunt Jenn picked up one of the kids' feet and exclaimed, "Ooooh!  You have stinky feet!"  And that was the genesis of years of fun.

Now, if you lift either Jay's or Danielle's foot and tell her it stinks (and preferably wave your hand or hold your nose in the universal sign of stinkiness), she will howl with laughter.  Socks may be on or off.

The typical routine is that the kids are on the sofa.  I can go up to one of them, lift their foot to my nose, and yell "Ewww!  Your feet are stinky!"  If it's Jay, for example, they will laugh heartily.  Then, they'll insist that I sniff the other foot.

I do, of course.  I tell them it stinks, they laugh, and then they tell me to sniff both feet together.  I might collapse or tell them that's the stinkiest pair of feet I've ever smelled.

Then, Danielle will shout "My turn!  My turn!"  And we go through the entire stinking routine again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I Liked In April 2026

We are so back with another list of things I liked this month, this time featuring a spinner! The idea is, you spin the spinner and are presented with a link to something I enjoyed. Kill some time, check out some neat stuff.  Everything has a link associated with it, so grab your board and get read to surf the web! Don't worry, I made sure they're not linking to any bullshit virus littered websites. The act of turning your joy into a list you're going to share with people really makes you think about how you spend your time. You spend a day reading and researching and engaging with art and come away with a handful of items to add to the list, but you spend a few hours doomscrolling and go "hm. Didn't add anything. Is this really how I want to spend my time?" Also, I'd go to put something on the list and stop to think "did I really engage fully with this? If my friend checks it out from my blog post and comes back with a conversation, will I be able to...

Something about Dune (1984). Or something.

     I'm 17 and I'm lying on the least comfortable couch in our house. It's firm and scratchy a nd not as long as I am tall , b ut it i s the couch at the foot of the bed my dad is dying in.        I haven't slept. I'm up on my phone, my brightness down , t rying not to wake my mom. Her alarm goes off intermittently throughout the night s o she can check on my dad's oxygen levels. I don't think she sleeps more than half an hour at a time. M y sister is in her bedroom above us. Hours before we had a conversation d eciding if we wanted to be in the house when he died. She planned to leave for our aunt's house in the morning.        M y phone. I'm reading a story online that someone wrote. I don't remember the details or where I could find it today. It's a h orror s tory set in a hospital. I'm new to the horror genre. I always thought I couldn't handle it b ut as I sat there working my way through the story, I...

Things I Liked In May 2026

Start of a new month, you know what that means! Here are links to things I liked in May. Get something random to check out with the spinner or by generating a random number (1-50), or hunt down what you’re in the mood for by category. Enjoy! A LINK TO THE SPINNER: https://pickerwheel.com/?id=gC6mU Read 1. Dracula Daily: https://substack.com/@draculadaily?r=8c6ix0&utm_medium=ios&utm_source=stories&shareImageVariant=light 2. Apollo 11 Mix: https://airandspace.si.edu/stories/editorial/apollo-playlist-part-2-music-inside-apollo-musical-critique-outside-apollo 3. For All Mankind Article: https://cinemasojourns.com/2021/05/24/playlists-for-the-apollo-space-missions/ 4. Ulysses: https://archive.org/details/bwb_KU-094-130/page/9/mode/1up 5. Shorthand: https://studycorgi.com/blog/learning-to-write-shorthand/ 6. The Wailing Analysis: https://annyeongkpop.com/the-wailing/ 7. Valedictions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valediction Listen 8. Artemis II Wake-Up Playlist https://open.spot...